Monday, March 16, 2009

"Love" In A Pan

I have a little something for you. You know, Saint Patrick's Day is tomorrow... and everyone is Irish irrespective of their last name or hair color. (By the way... did you know that only 4% of the worlds population has natural red hair? I thought that was pretty cool.)

Anyhow, what's for dinner at your house tomorrow night? I'm hoping to have me a big, thick, juicy, Ruben sandwich. But in a house full of vegetarians it will be a trick. I may just have to call on a local homeschool mom to do me a solid and accompany me to Culver's for one of their big, thick, juicy, Ruben's (and a side of curds... Oh... and probably some mint Oreo custard too.)

If you don't have a Culver's near you, I have an alternative dessert that's actually GREEN (no... that doesn't mean it's made from homegrown ingredients and baked in a dutch oven over coals in the backyard. Green is still just a COLOR in some parts of the world - don't get me started...)

In our family this dessert has a couple of different names - depending on which side of the family you talk to. One side calls it "Better Than S*x" and the other side calls it "Yummy Layered Pudding". We have good friends that call it "S*x in a Pan". You make it and decide what you want to call it.

You might actually have this recipe, but just in case...

Mix together:
1 cup butter
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup flour

Press into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Cool completely. You might even want to give it a light freeze... the second step is much easier that way.

Cream:
1 bar (8 oz.) cream cheese at room temp.
1 cup powdered sugar
fold in 1 1/2 cups Cool Whip.
Spread over the cooled "crust".

Beat:
2 small boxes of Pistachio pudding
with 2 1/2 cups milk
Spread over cream cheese layer

Top with:
Cool Whip and garnish with a sprinkle of chopped nuts.

If you're not fond of the pistachio, you can do the "original" recipe and go with Chocolate. (Always a capital C.) If you go Chocolate, the flavor is best (in my opinion) if you mix one box of chocolate and one box of vanilla pudding.

You can really cut the calories down on this and it tastes fantastic! I substitute 50/50 Smart Balance spread and butter. It's sold in the butter section and looks like butter sticks. You can use light Cool Whip (better than the fat free) and sugar / fat free pudding and skim milk. This will cut the calories in half and you won't miss them at all!

Incidentally... if you're wondering about that Sugar Mold on my dinning room table... I bought that in Canton at First Monday Trade Days when I made a trip there at the end of February with my dear friend. I'll be sharing more of my purchases in the days to come as I get them up and around the house. Lots of spring cleaning going on here...the place is shaping up nicely.

6 comments:

  1. This still looks like a lot of calories. The sugar mold look beautiful! I can't wait to see pics of the rest of the stuff you got. Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy St Patty's Day! Would you believe my DH SHAWN doesn't like Corned Beef & Cabbage? We'll have Sam Adams irish Red with dinner tonight though! I haven't decided what that'll be yet....

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. A post! A post! A post!

    Ok... got that out of my system.

    That looks delicious and if I ever made dessert, my kids would love it. What a pretty sugar mold/candle holder on your table. Loverly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dessert looks yummy! The sugar mold is so pretty. Can't wait to see what else you bought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't you just love Canton. It is one of my favorite places. The sugar mold looks wonderful on your table.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. It warms my heart that you would take the time to comment. Well... If you said something nice it warms my heart...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...